Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Week In

I am a week back into going to the gym regularly. May I just say that it is not fun being a little stiff and a little tender. That being said I am surprised by how quickly my body is responding to the exercise. One my first night back to the gym I over did things which led my stomach to seriously contemplate ridding itself of what ever contents it might hold through what normally is considered the intake valve. I had cold sweat and tightness in my lungs. My heart rate was in the upper 170's. I was certain that this whole process was going to take a while. Every time I have been to the gym since things have gotten easier. I haven't tried to push myself harder but my body has naturally picked up the pace. Tonight I was back on the elliptical machine going much fast than the first night on the machine but my heart rate was a lot lower than the first night. Amazing.
Now I just wish the push ups would come back this quickly. My pecs and ribs are still complaining about having to do something that they used to do so easily before. I have even cut back on the number of reps per set and they are still unhappy. Oh well. If I give them time to continue to adjust the soreness will eventually go away and it will become a lot easier to do them again. I was hoping that with a day off yesterday they would be doing a lot better today. That wasn't the case. This part of getting back into my fitness routine might take a little longer than planned. The important thing though is that I am working hard and getting back into a routine. The extra bit of waistline that I picked up over the holidays should be gone soon enough and I'll be ready for summer again!

No comments: